bubblegum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun also bubble gum
- Chewing gum that can be blown into bubbles.
- Slang A style of popular music designed to appeal to adolescents, characterized by bouncy rhythms and a generally cheerful tone.
- Of or characteristic of bubblegum music: bubblegum rock.
- Marked by or displaying an adolescent immaturity, as in style or taste.
- Vapid; bland: “Bubblegum news . . . is information packaged like a Krazy Kat cartoon” (Tom Shales).
Variant of bubble gum
- a kind of chewing gum for blowing large bubbles
- a kind of rock music with simple lyrics and melodies that is directed at teenage and younger audiences and variously regarded as insipid, unimaginative, unsophisticated, etc.also sp. bubblegum