- The definition of a booby hatch is a cover over a small hatch on a ship, or a slang term for an institution for the mentally ill.
- An example of booby hatch is what sailors might cover up on a boat.
- An example of booby hatch is an offensive term for a place for the mentally ill.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a covering over a small hatchway on a ship
- ☆ Slang an institution for the mentally ill
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Nautical A raised covering over a small hatchway.
- Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill.