blue ribbonblue ribbon
- the blue silk ribbon of the Order of the Garter
- a blue ribbon awarded as first prize in a competition
- first prize in a competition
- Informal preeminent or outstanding of its kind
- designating or of a panel made up of persons specially selected as for their expertise
- An award made from a blue ribbon given to a competitor who finishes in first place.
- An award or honor given for excellence.
(plural blue ribbons)
- The highest honor or prize awarded in some competitions and contests.
- Mom's strawberry jam won the blue ribbon at the Holland County Fair three years running.
- A badge worn or displayed to advocate freedom from online censorship.
- The icon of the blue ribbon on her site should not be taken to mean she opposes parental filtration programs.
- Very superior in quality, style, or substance.
- The governor selected a cadre of blue ribbon social scientists to serve on her poverty task force.
Perhaps a calque translation of Middle French cordon bleu (“blue ribbon”) worn by knights of the highest order of chivalry or after Blue Riband, a sailing award.