- the small area, insensitive to light, in the retina of the eye where the optic nerve enters
- a portion of a field of vision that is obstructed to the viewer; specif., any area behind a vehicle that a driver cannot view with his or her rearview mirrors
- a prejudice, or area of ignorance, that one has but is often unaware of
- an area where radio reception is poor
blind spotblind spot
- Anatomy The small, circular, optically insensitive region in the retina where fibers of the optic nerve emerge from the eyeball. It has no rods or cones. Also called optic disk .
- An area that one cannot see because of an obstruction.
- An area where radio reception is weak or nonexistent.
- A subject about which one is markedly ignorant or prejudiced: His niece is his blind spot; in his eyes, she can do no wrong.
(plural blind spots)
- The place where the optic nerve attaches to the retina, and so where the retina cannot detect light.
- In driving, the part of the road that cannot be seen in the rear-view mirror.
- When he changed lanes, he sideswiped a car that was in his blind spot.
- (figuratively) An inability to recognize a fact or think clearly about a certain topic, especially because of a prejudice.
- He loves her so much that he has a blind spot when it comes to her faults.
- A location where radio reception and/or transmission is significantly poorer than in surrounding locations.