designating or of a secret illegal break-in made by a government agency in pursuit of suspected criminals, enemy agents, etc.
Origin of black-bagin allusion to a burglar's bag of tools
- A bag in which physicians traditionally carry instruments and a stock of drugs, as on a house call.
- A physician's stock of drugs.
- Involving sophisticated clandestine methods for gaining unauthorized entry and obtaining information.
- Watergate turned out to be a black-bag operation by former CIA employees.
- Alternative spelling of black-bag.
(plural black bags)
- (UK) A black plastic sack produced for the disposal of household waste.
- The road was full of blackbags awaiting the arrival of the dustbin men.
- (chiefly US) The pouch or case traditionally carried by medical doctors, especially when making house calls, and containing medical instruments and supplies.
- A pouch or case containing burglary tools.