- The definition of a bishopric is the authority or the geographic area managed by a bishop.
- An example of a bishopric is the position of Bishop.
- An example of a bishopric is the area of California managed by the Episcopal Diocese of California.
bishopric definition by Webster's New World
- the church district controlled by a bishop; diocese
- the office, authority, or rank of a bishop
Origin: Middle English bischopriche ; from Old English bisceoprice ; from bisceop (see bishop) plush rice: see archbishopric
bishopric definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The office or rank of a bishop.
- The diocese of a bishop.
Origin: Middle English bishoprik, from Old English bisceoprīce, the diocese of a bishop : bisceop, bishop; see bishop + rīce, realm; see reg- in Indo-European roots.