- An example of a bishopric is the position of Bishop.
- An example of a bishopric is the area of California managed by the Episcopal Diocese of California.
The definition of a bishopric is the authority or the geographic area managed by a bishop.
- the church district controlled by a bishop; diocese
- the office, authority, or rank of a bishop
Origin of bishopricMiddle English bischopriche from Old English bisceoprice from bisceop (see bishop) + rice: see archbishopric
- The office or rank of a bishop.
- The diocese of a bishop.
Origin of bishopricMiddle English bishoprik from Old English bisceoprīce the diocese of a bishop bisceop bishop ; see bishop . rīce realm ; see reg- in Indo-European roots.
Old English bisceoprīċe, equivalent to bishop + -ric (compare German Reich).