big enchiladabig enchilada
or Big Enchilada
- The most important or powerful person in an enterprise or field: “[the President's] big enchilada on both foreign and domestic policy” ( Mary McGrory )
- Something of the highest value or importance: “[The team] won the big enchilada in 1980 and 1982” ( Scott Ostler )
Origin of big enchiladaOn the model of such expressions as big cheese (probably taken as from cheese 1)
(plural big enchiladas)
- (idiomatic) A very important person, especially the highest-ranking individual in an organization.
- The detectives were trying to identify the big enchilada who controlled the entire criminal network.
- (idiomatic) Some item of high value, especially a top prize or reward.
- When the lottery results were announced, he was stunned to learn that the big enchilada was all his.
- attributive form of big enchilada
- big-enchilada complex