A city of northwest Switzerland at the northeast end of Lake Biel at the foot of the Jura Mountains. It is noted for its clocks.x
- The title " last of the Scholastics " is commonly given to Gabriel Biel, the summarizer of Occam's doctrine.
- Is the village of Biel, where, according to some authorities, William Dunbar the poet was born.
- In 1525 a religious and political league was arranged between Zurich and Constance, which in the following year was joined by St Gallen, Biel, Muhlhausen, Basel and Strassburg.
- The word "doubt" has made historians think of intellectual difficulties - of the "theological scepticism" taught by Occam and Biel, of the disintegrating criticism of Humanism.
- BIENNE, or Biel, an industrial town in the Swiss canton of Bern.