- Present participle of bias.
Variant of bias
- a line, cut or sewn diagonally across the weave of cloth, as in making seams, binding tape, etc.
- a mental leaning or inclination; partiality; bent
- Lawn Bowling
- the bulge in the side of the ball (the bowl) that causes it to roll in a curve
- this curve or tendency to curve
- the force causing this
- Electronics a high-frequency signal or tone added to a tape during the recording process so as to reduce distortion and increase frequency response
- Radio the fixed voltage applied to an electrode circuit to control the mode of operation, usually measured with the cathode voltage as reference
- Statistics any systematic error contributing to the difference between statistical values in a population and a sample drawn from it
Origin of biasMiddle French biais, a slope, slant ; from Old French ; from Old ProvenÃ§al ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- Obsolete awry
on the bias
diagonally; obliquely; specif., cut or sewn diagonally across the weave