- To besmirch is to dirty or spoil something or to damage someone's reputation
- When you spill something on the floor and make it dirty, this is an example of a time when the floor is besmirched with dirt.
- When you spread a rumor about someone, this is an example of a time when you besmirch his reputation.
- to make dirty; soil
- to bring dishonor to; sully
Origin of besmirchbe- + smirch
transitive verbbe·smirched, be·smirch·ing, be·smirch·es
- To stain; sully: a reputation that was besmirched by slander.
- To make dirty; soil.
(third-person singular simple present besmirches, present participle besmirching, simple past and past participle besmirched)
From be- + smirch.