benjamin definition by Webster's New World
Origin: altered ; from French benjoin, benzoin
- a masculine name: dim. Ben, Benny
- Jacob's youngest son, whose mother was Rachel: Gen. 35:18
- the tribe of Israel descended from him: Num. 1:36
Origin: Classical Hebrew (language) binyamin, literally , son of the right hand; hence, favorite son
- Benjamin, Judah Philip 1811-84; U.S. lawyer: Confederate secretary of state (1862-65)
- Benjamin, Walter 1892-1940; Ger. philosopher & critic
benjamin definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Alteration (influenced by the name Benjamin) of benjoin, benzoin; see benzoin.
Origin: Hebrew binyāmîn, son of the south : bēn, son; see bn in Semitic roots + yāmîn, south; see ymn in Semitic roots.
, Asher 1773-1845.
, Judah Philip 1811-1884.