Origin of becketfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Origin of becketOrigin unknown
- (nautical) A short piece of rope spliced to form a circle
- (nautical) A loop of rope with a knot at one end to catch in an eye at the other end . Used to secure oars etc. at their place.
- (nautical) The clevis of a pulley block.
- An eye in the end of a rope.
- A method of joining fabric, for example the doors of a tent, by interlacing loops of cord (beckets) through eyelet holes and adjacent loops.
- (UK, dialect) A spade for digging turf.