- any of a genus (Myrica) of shrubs of the bayberry family, as the wax myrtle, having a small, berrylike fruit covered with a wax used in making candles
- the fruit
- a tropical American tree (Pimenta racemosa) of the myrtle family, that yields an aromatic oil used in making bay rum
Origin of bayberrybay + berry: origin, originally used of the laurel and its berries
designating a family (Myricaceae) of aromatic, dicotyledonous trees and shrubs (order Myricales)
- Any of various shrubs of the genus Myrica, having aromatic foliage and small round fruits with a waxy covering.
- The fruit of these trees.
Origin of bayberrybay5 + berry.
- A plant in the genus Myrica, a North American shrub with aromatic leather leaves and waxy berries.
- A tropical American shrub with aromatic leaves that are used in the preparation of bay rum.