- a mythical lizardlike monster with supposedly fatal breath and glance, fabled to have been hatched by a serpent from a cock's egg
- any of a genus (Basiliscus) of iguanas with an erectile crest on the back and tail and an inflatable pouch on the head
- an obsolete kind of cannon
Origin of basiliskMiddle English ; from Classical Latin basiliscus ; from Classical Greek basiliskos, diminutive of basileus, king
- A legendary serpent or dragon with lethal breath and glance.
- Any of various tropical American lizards of the genus Basiliscus, having a crest on the head and back and fringes of skin around the toes of the hind feet that enable it to run upright across the surface of water for short distances.
Origin of basiliskMiddle English, from Old French basilisc, from Latin basiliscus, from Greek basiliskos, a kind of extremely venomous snake with a bright crownlike mark on its head, from diminutive of basileus, king.