- barley or a grain of barley
- an old unit of linear measure equal to inch
Origin of barleycornMiddle English barli-corn
- The grain of barley.
- A unit of measure equal to the length of a grain of barley, or about 1/3 inch (0.85 centimeter).
- A grain of barley.
- 1907, Various, The Wit and Humor of America, Volume IV. (of X.):
- Then shewed the devil the booke unto the friar, and the friar saw it was an uncut unique of incalculable value; the height of it was half a cubit and the breadth of it the fourth part of a cubit and the thickness of it five barleycorns lacking the space of three horsehairs.
- (architecture, woodworking) A small groove between two mouldings.