- Present participle of barbecue.
Variant of barbecue
- Obsolete a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat
- a hog, steer, etc. broiled or roasted whole over an open fire, sometimes in an open pit
- any meat broiled over an open fire
- any meat prepared and broiled with a barbecue sauce
- ☆ a party or picnic at which such meat is served
- a restaurant that specializes in barbecuing
- an outdoor structure for cooking or, esp., roasting over an open fire
- a portable outdoor grill
Origin of barbecueAmerican Spanish barbacoa ; from Taino, literally , framework of sticks
transitive verbbarbecued, barbecuing
- to prepare (meat) outdoors by roasting on a spit or broiling on a grill, usually over a charcoal fire
- to broil or cook (meat) with a highly seasoned sauce () containing vinegar, tomatoes, spices, etc.
- of or for a barbecue
- prepared by barbecuing: barbecue ribs