Variant of baffle
- to confuse so as to keep from understanding or solving; puzzle; confound
- to interfere with; hinder; impede
- to check the interference of (low-frequency sound waves) in a radio, phonograph, etc. by the use of a baffle
Origin: 16th-c. Scot; prob. respelling (as duff for dough, Affleck for Auchinleck) of obs. bauchle
- Rare a baffling or being baffled
- an obstructing device, as a wall or screen to hold back or turn aside the flow of liquids, gases, etc.also baffleplate
- a mounting or partition used to check the transmission of sound waves between the front and rear of the speaker of a radio, phonograph, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.