- ☆ Sports a fence, screen, etc., esp. one behind the catcher in baseball, serving to stop balls from leaving the playing area
- anything that supports or bolsters
transitive verb backstopped, backstopping
to act as a backstop for
See backstop in American Heritage Dictionary 4
transitive verb back·stopped
- Sports A screen or fence used to prevent a ball from being thrown or hit far out of a playing area, as in baseball.
- Baseball A catcher.
- Something that supports or bolsters.
- To serve as a backstop for.
a. To support or bolster: “The firm lacks a topflight strategic-consulting arm to backstop its technology gurus” (Alex Beam).
b. To substitute for (another) in an emergency.
Learn more about backstop