back and forthback and forth
The definition of back and forth is going from one place to another and then returning to the first location, often over and over again.
An example of back and forth is when a person goes to LA, then to San Francisco, then back to LA, then back to San Francisco again.
moving forward and backward; to-and-fro
back and forth
- Backward and forward; to and fro: went back and forth in the rocking chair.
- From side to side: paced back and forth across the room.
- Alternative spelling of back and forth.
- From one place to another and back again.
- Going from one place or position to another and back again.
- The back and forth movement of the tide causes erosion of the coastline.