- One that babbles: a babbler of half-truths.
- Any of numerous songbirds of the family Timaliidae, found mostly in tropical and subtropical Southeast Asian and African forests.
Variant of babble
intransitive verbbabbled, babbling
- to make incoherent sounds, as a baby does; prattle
- to talk foolishly or too much; blab
- to make a low, bubbling sound, as a brook does when flowing over stones
Origin of babbleMiddle English bablen; akin to Norwegian bable, Swedish babbla, German babbeln, to prattle, Classical Latin balbutire, to stammer, Sanskrit balbuthah, stammerer: of echoic origin, originally
- to say indistinctly or incoherently
- to say foolishly or unadvisedly; blab
- confused, incoherent talk or vocal sounds
- foolish or meaningless talk
- a low, bubbling sound