city in S Egypt, on the Nile: 3 mi (4.5 km) south is a dam (completed 1902) providing irrigation for the surrounding region: a larger dam (Aswan High Dam, completed 1970) is 4 mi (6.4 km) farther south
A city of southern Egypt at the First Cataract of the Nile River near the Aswan High Dam. Construction of the dam, dedicated in 1971, required the relocation of some 90,000 people and numerous archaeological treasures.x
- Another option is a four-night Nile cruise that combines the scenic river and luxury ship accommodations with trips to Aswan and Luxor, a train ride from Aswan to Cairo and two nights in a Cairo hotel.
- Many Nile cruises start in either Luxor or Aswan and travel one-way or round-trip to the other city, depending on your preference.
- Enjoy a seven-night Nile River cruise that takes in excursions to famous or historic sites in Luxor and Aswan.
- It is certain in any case that the process was constantly repeated &t different dates and in different parts of the country from Aswan to Axum, and to the stimulation which resulted from it must be ascribed the principal political and intellectual movements of the Sudanese nations.
- ASSUAN, or Aswan, a town of Upper Egypt on the east bank of the Nile, facing Elephantine Island below the First Cataract, and 590 m.