A city of southern Peru at the foot of El Misti. Founded in 1540 on the site of an Incan village, it is the commercial center of southern Peru and northern Bolivia.x
- To Puno and Arequipa on the S.
- AREQUIPA, a city of southern Peru, capital of the depart ment of the same name, about 90 m.
- Arequipa is the seat of a bishopric created in 1609-1612, and possesses a comparatively modern cathedral, its predecessor having been destroyed by fire in 1849.
- Arequipa was founded by Pizarro in 1540, and has been the scene of many events of importance in the history of Peru.
- Arequipa 21, Moquegua (Province) 11.