Warning signs posted around Area 51.
- The region is approximately 90 miles north of Las Vegas.
- The actual area measures six by ten miles.
- It is part of the Groom Box, which is a 23 by 25.3 mile rectangular area.
- Nuclear testing sites are extremely close to this region.
- Other names for this region include Groom Lake, Neverland, Watertown Strip, Paradise Ranch, the Box and Dreamland.
- There is a large military base in the center of Area 51; however, the government will not release any details about it.
- It is a detachment of Edwards Air Force Base.
- Area 51 has several runways. Some of the runways have been closed, or at least so people think.
- The United States government studies top secret technology in Area 51.
- Area 51 is not a test site for weapons. It is a test site for aircraft.
- There is extremely tight security in the area.
- It was designed to keep Soviet spies from obtaining any information about the secrets of the United States.
- Quite a number of people, both professionals and ordinary citizens, believe that UFOs have been spotted and found in Area 51.
- People who do not live too far from Area 51 claim that they have seen UFOs at various times.
- Bob Lazer, a controversial, self-proclaimed scientist and engineer, claims that he worked with an alien spacecraft there in 1988 and 1989.
- Not only do some think that aliens are at Area 51, but that the government holds meetings with them.
- Some people feel that the government is trying to cover up aliens at Area 51. Others disagree and feel that there is no such activity during in this region.
- Bombing and artillery practice occurred here during World War II.
- It was abandoned after the war until 1955, when Lockheed Martin decided that this spot was perfect for testing the new U2 spy plane.
- People think that they have developed time travel devices in Area 51.
- Area 51 is not officially called Area 51.
- Uncovering facts about Area 51 is extremely difficult, since only a select number of government officials know exactly what is going on there at any given moment.
- People who know about Area 51 have signed non-disclosure agreements. Those who have signed the agreements and know about the area can face punishment if they reveal anything.
- One rumor that surrounds Area 51 is that trespassers are shot. People will take them away, and they might receive a fine. However, they are not shot.
- Area 51 has appeared in the media many times. People love to portray or speculate about the region in movies and television.
- In 2005, Microsoft made a shooter game based on Area 51.
The definition of Area 51 is a top secret, federally-owned area in Nevada.
Facts and Rumors About Area 51
History and Lore
An example of Area 51 is the desert land in Nevada which is the center of many UFO stories.