- Bot. any of several trees or shrubs (genus Thuja) of the cypress family, with flattened sprays of scalelike leaves
- Anat. the treelike structure of the white substance in a longitudinal section of the cerebellum
Origin of arborvitaeL, literally , tree of life
Also, esp. for arborvitaesense , arbor vitae
also ar·bor vi·tae
- Any of several North American or eastern Asian evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Thuja, having flattened branchlets with opposite, scalelike leaves and small cones. They are grown as ornamentals and for timber. Also called thuja .
- Any similar plant of the related genera Platycladus or Thujopsis.
- Anatomy The white nerve tissue of the cerebellum, which has a treelike outline in a median section.
Origin of arborvitaeFrom New Latin arbor vītae tree of life Latin arbor tree Latin vītae genitive of vīta life ; see vital .