- The definition of arabesque is artwork or structures that are decorated with many flowing lines.
An example of arabesque artwork is on the dome of the Sheikh Lotfalla mosque.
- Arabesque means a piece of music which is brief but upbeat and often crafted for play on the piano.
An example of an arabesque is a piece of music titled Debussy's Arabesque No. 1.
- Arabesque is defined as an artistic portrayal of flowing lines, particularly scrolls.
An example of an arabesque can be seen on the Savonnerie carpet in the Louvre.
- An arabesque is defined as a graceful ballet pose.
An example of an arabesque is the extension of the right arm forward while extending the left leg and left arm backward and balancing on the right foot.
- a complex and elaborate decorative design of intertwined lines suggesting flowers, foliage, animals, geometric patterns, etc., used in drawing, painting, low relief, metalwork, etc.
- Ballet a position in which one leg is extended straight backward and the arms are extended, usually one forward and one backward
- a light, whimsical composition with many delicately ornamental passages
- any ornamental passage typical of such a composition
Origin of arabesqueFrench from Italian arabesco from Arabo, Arab from Arabic ?arab: with reference to the designs in Moorish architecture
- A ballet position executed while standing on one straight leg with one arm extended forward and the other arm and leg extended backward.
- A complex, ornate design of intertwined floral, foliate, and geometric figures.
- Music An ornate, whimsical composition especially for piano.
- An intricate or elaborate pattern or design: “the complex arabesque of a camera movement” ( Nigel Andrews )
Origin of arabesqueFrench from Italian arabesco in Arabian fashion from Arabo an Arab from Latin Arabus from Arabs ; see Arab .
Arabesque on Wikipedia. arabesque (plural arabesques)
- An elaborate design of intertwined floral figures or complex geometrical patterns. This ornamental design is mainly used in Islamic Art and architecture.
- (music) An ornate composition, especially for the piano.
- (ballet) A dance position in which the dancer stands on one leg, with the other raised backwards, and the arms outstretched.