An example of an Americanism is the word "gas" for auto fuel instead of the more internationally common word, petrol.
- a custom, characteristic, or belief of or originating in the U.S.
- a word, phrase, grammatical construction, or other feature originating in or peculiar to American English
- devotion or loyalty to the U.S., or to its traditions, customs, institutions, etc.
- A custom, trait, or tradition originating in the United States.
- A word, phrase, or idiom characteristic of English as it is spoken in the United States.
- Allegiance to the United States and its customs and institutions.
(countable and uncountable, plural Americanisms)
- A custom peculiar to the United States or the Americans.
- A word, phrase or linguistic feature originating from or specific to American language usage.
- However, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is hence often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism.
- A preference to the United States and the ideas it represents.
American + -ism