- The definition of Americanism is something that is said or written in American English, especially in contrast to British English.
An example of an Americanism is the word "gas" for auto fuel instead of the more internationally common word, petrol.
- a custom, characteristic, or belief of or originating in the U.S.
- a word, phrase, grammatical construction, or other feature originating in or peculiar to American English
- devotion or loyalty to the U.S., or to its traditions, customs, institutions, etc.
- A custom, trait, or tradition originating in the United States.
- A word, phrase, or idiom characteristic of English as it is spoken in the United States.
- Allegiance to the United States and its customs and institutions.