- ALKMAAR, a town in the province of North Holland, kingdom of Holland, 244 m.
- Alkmaar is a typical North Holland town, with tree-lined canals and brightly coloured 17th-century houses.
- Just outside the town lies the Alkmaar wood, at the entrance to which stands the military cadet school which serves as a preparatoryschool for the royal military academy at Breda.
- Alkmaar derives its chief importance from being the centre of the flourishing butter and cheese trade of this region of Holland.
- Tramways connect Alkmaar with Egmond and with the pretty summer resort of Bergen, which lies sheltered by woods and dunes.