The definition of an alcoholic is a person who is addicted to drinking alcohol.
A person who drinks too much and who cannot stop himself from doing so is an example of an alcoholic.
- of or containing alcohol
- caused by alcohol or liquor containing it
- suffering from alcoholism
a person who has chronic alcoholism or who habitually drinks alcoholic liquor to excess
- Related to or resulting from alcohol.
- Containing or preserved in alcohol.
- Suffering from alcoholism.
A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism.
(comparative more alcoholic, superlative most alcoholic)
First attested 1891, from alcohol + -ic