Agnus Dei[äg′no̵os dā′ē′, ag′nəs-, än′yo̵̅o̅s′-; -dē′ī′]
- a representation of Christ as a lamb, often holding a cross or flag
- a little wax disk with a lamb pictured on it, blessed by the pope
- a prayer in the Latin Mass, beginning Agnus Dei
- music for this
Origin: Classical Latin Lamb of God
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Christianity Lamb of God; Jesus. Also called Paschal Lamb.
- a. A liturgical prayer to Jesus.b. The last item of the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass.c. A musical setting for either of these texts.
Origin: Late Latin Agnus Deī : Latin agnus, lamb + Latin deī, genitive of deus, god.