Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- an African custom, characteristic, or belief
- a word, phrase, grammatical construction, or other feature originating in or peculiar to an African language
- devotion to African customs, traditions, etc.; specif., advocacy of independence for African states or of Pan-Africanism
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A characteristically African cultural feature, such as a belief or custom.
- A linguistic feature of an African language occurring in a non-African language.