- Initialism of Adult Foster Care.
- (American football) Initialism of American Football Conference.
- (Australian rules football) Initialism of Adelaide Football Club.
- (computing) Initialism of Application Foundation Classes.
- (finance) Initialism of Additional Finance Charges.
- (radio) Automatic Frequency Control (radio & TV technics)
- (soccer) Initialism of Asian Football Confederation.
- (soccer) Initialism of Arsenal Football Club.
- (soccer) Initialism of Association Football Club.
- (seduction community) Initialism of average frustrated chump.
afc - Computer Definition
(1) (Application Foundation Classes) A class library from Microsoft that provides an application framework and graphics, graphical user interface (GUI) and multimedia routines for Java programmers. AFC Enterprise Libraries include support for data access, directory services, transactions and distributed objects. AFC is compatible with AWT and runs in Windows and other JVM environments. See JFC, AWT and IFC.
(2) (AntiFerromagnetic-Coupled) A hard disk technology from IBM that uses a ruthenium layer three atoms thick sandwiched between two magnetic layers. The magnetic layers allow for thinner bits, and the bit above and below are polarized in opposite directions. This technology pushes the superparamagnetic limit once again. The ruthenium layer, which is a precious metal, has been coined "pixie dust" for its magical properties by IBM engineers. See superparamagnetic limit.