- Present participle of advantage.
Variant of advantage
- a more favorable position; superiority: often with of or over
- a favorable or beneficial circumstance, event, etc.
- gain or benefit
- Tennis the first point scored after deuce
Origin of advantageMiddle English avantage, avauntage ; from Old French avantage ; from avant, before ; from Classical Latin ab- + ante: see advance
have the advantage of
to have an advantage over
take advantage of
- to make use of for one's own benefit
- to impose upon in a selfish way
so as to result in a good effect