intransitive verb-·ized·, -·iz·ing
verbA·mer·i·can·ized, A·mer·i·can·iz·ing, A·mer·i·can·iz·es
- To make American in form, style, or character.
- To absorb or assimilate into American culture.
- To bring under American influence or control.
(third-person singular simple present Americanizes, present participle Americanizing, simple past and past participle Americanized)
- (US, Canada) To make American, as to custom, culture, or style of the United States of America.
- (US, Canada) To localize a medium for sale or use in the United States.
American + -ize; first attested in 1797.