(It. name Cristoforo Colombo; Sp. name Cristóbal Colón) 1451?-1506; It. explorer in the service of Spain: discovered America (1492)
- capital of Ohio, in the central part
- city in W Ga., on the Chattahoochee River
Origin of Columbusafter Columbus
- A city of western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River south-southwest of Atlanta. Settled in 1828 on the site of a Creek village, it is a port of entry and major industrial center.
- A city of south-central Indiana south-southeast of Indianapolis. Founded in 1820, it is known for its modern architecture.
- The capital of Ohio, in the central part of the state on the Scioto River. Laid out as the capital in 1812, it is a major commercial center and the seat of The Ohio State University (established 1873).
From Latin columbus (“a dove”)